Thursday, January 31, 2008

why call it morning sickness

7 weeks

Why do they call it morning sickness when it lasts all day? Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I love having morning/noon/night sickness. It makes me feel actually pregnant and reassures me that somebody in there is making him or herself very comfortable. I welcome it with open arms. I am thrilled to be sick.

But going on with my regular scheduled programing of life has been challenging to say the least. Let's start with work. I don't have an office job. I can't be late. I can't just put my head down on my desk for a minute. And I can't run to the bathroom on a whim. I am a first grade teacher, responsible for 22 wild six-year-olds. And they are relentless.

First graders are smelly, loud, sticky and gross. They zap your energy and are needy of your attention at all times. And they don't leave you alone. Ever.

A few teachers are catching on. I'm ok with it. I simply don't have any energy left over to fake feeling good. If they care enough about me to notice how "not myself" I've been looking, I guess they deserve the truth. So when one of them asks me straight up today if I am pregnant again, I tell her yes.

And it actually feels good to say it.

Tomorrow night is bowling night with the staff. I'm on the social committee that's planned the event. But I just don't know if I can do it. I hate missing it. I missed the last big night out due to my miscarriage. Well at least this time I like my reason a lot better. I'm sure it won't be the first sacrifice I make for this baby.

And in that light, I'm happy to make it.

No comments: