Wednesday, January 2, 2008

welcome 2008!!!

Well I'm a day or so late but I figured it's time to finally welcome in 2008. I've been both ecstatic and reluctant about saying good-bye to 2007. It was a year that changed me in so many ways. It was the year that made me a wife and blessed me with a baby, if only for a moment. 2007 holds both the best moment and the worst moment of all of my 31 years. And now it is all part of my past, tucked away neatly into little corners of my heart.

I bring in 2008 with a new sense of hope for all the freshness and joy it may bring. I look forward to its adventures and look toward its mysteries with both excitement and worry. Will it be the year I come home with a baby in my arms? Will I get pregnant again? Will I lose another? Will I lose anyone else from my life?

My husband does not believe in resolutions. His thought is that resolutions should be on an "always list," and not made on one day in December and then forgotten by the second week of January. He does have a point there. But personally I need an actual annual list to re-direct me and put my focus somewhere positive. So in his honor, I've added a last special resolution to my list.

And here they are, my resolutions for 2008:

1. I will be nicer to myself in all ways. I will take great care of my body and my soul. I will make my health -- both physical and emotional -- my biggest priority. This includes exercise, healthy eating, doctor visits, rest, etc. I will stop being hard on myself about the things I cannot control (i.e. stupid hormone-related break-outs) and the things that might compromise my emotional health (i.e. the stupid number on the scale.)
2. I will keep my friends close
3. I will accept that my body has more wisdom than I will ever know
4. I will be present in my life -- with my students, with my family, with my friends, with my husband, with myself
5. I will not forget about any of the above in the months to come

Happy New Year!

No comments: