Wednesday, February 27, 2008

some people

11 weeks

For weeks I've been in hiding -- avoiding my co-workers and staying far far away from the Teacher's Room, a staff hang-out full of food and smells and dirty dishes and loud social conversation. I've been sitting at my desk trying to choke down a few saltines, holding my breath if I have to pass the cafeteria and counting the minutes until I can go home and sleep.

But I have turned a morning sickness corner and my energy and appetite are coming back from the dead. (Yayyyy!!!!!) Yesterday I make my return to the Teacher's Room. I am actually feeling social and enjoying my 15-minute break. I am chatting with people I haven't spoken a word to in weeks when suddenly the woman sitting next to me turns to me and says, "By the way, congratulations!"

Very nice of her. Only I have not yet offered an announcement worthy of any type of congratulatory remark.

My face turns to stone and I quickly respond under my breath with, "It's not public yet," to which she replies, "I know. But you are."

What?!?!?! How does she know? Did she overhear something? Did she notice how green I was for weeks? Or am I already showing at 11 weeks?!?!?! I am mortified!! I make a vow to myself never to make eye contact with this woman again (which is fine with me since she's not my favorite to begin with) and I stand up and walk back to my classroom with fire under my skin. If anyone else heard her, they have enough common sense to keep it to themselves.

Once I get past her ridiculous inappropriateness, I make a decision. It's time to tell. I was planning to wait until after my ultra-sound next Friday but I suddenly don't feel like waiting anymore. I like my workplace and I like my staff and I know they will be jumping-for-joy happy for me. I don't want my news to be spread with a rumor flying around behind my back. I want to be the one to share it. I've at least earned that.

So Monday is the day.

I think.

No comments: