Monday, March 3, 2008

cat is out of the bag

Hello world, I AM PREGNANT!!!!!!! And it's no secret anymore. Here is the email I send out at work today:

Hi!
I know some of you are getting suspicious so before the rumors start flying -- I am not just getting fat and I have not had a chronic stomach bug for the last month and a half. I am excited to let you know that I am about 12 weeks pregnant and due in September. I am planning on taking next year off, although I promise to be back to visit with the baby. I have not yet told the kids or parents but I plan to probably before conferences. Thanks for keeping it quiet until then.

The responses start coming in immediately. I am overwhelmed by the all joy I feel surrounding me. I feel so blessed to work with such wonderful and supportive colleagues.

Yesssssss! I am so happy for you and Phil. You will be wonderful parents. I'll keep it a secret! D

Such happy news...congratulations!
-Beth

At first I was worried about you because you were looking pekid and low energy, then I started to get suspicious because you were back to looking really happy and bright - so I'm so glad to hear this news! You must be thrilled! Your secret is safe and many, many good wishes.
Best,
Sharon

I have tears in my eyes! I'm sooo happy for you.
Karen G.

Yipee! Congratulations!
You are going to be a fantastic mother!
Love,
Alison

Andra!!! Mazel Tov. That's wonderful news and I wish you all the very best!! It's a pleasure to be involved in planning showers for you...bridal and babies and more, oh my! We'll miss you next year (you are so lucky to be able to give that 'gift' to your new baby) and look forward to your return. You're a GREAT teacher and of course, you'll be a terrific MOMMY! Lots of luck and happiness! Bonnie

There are a bunch more but you get the gist of it. There is also a congratulations in my inbox from Karen. I've mentioned her before. I am told in confidence last week by another teacher that she just lost her third baby. I am devastated for her. I really worry about how the news will feel to her. I lose sleep over it. The last thing I want to do was cause her any more pain. But I also know in my gut it is time to spill the beans. I cannot hold it in any longer. Literally.

I am glad I do it the way I do. There is no big production thrown in her face. I respond to her email and thank her and let her know I am thinking of her and that I hope her journey leads to a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel. What more can I say.

Because that's really all I know. And I know it about every woman struggling with a miscarriage who happens to be reading this. I know how dark the tunnel is and I know how scary the turns can be. I can't tell you how long the tunnel will be. But what I can tell you is that there is a light at the end of it. This I can promise you. So hold on tight to whoever is riding along with you and just keep moving forward. It's really the only way to go.

No comments: