Monday, November 19, 2007

what i've gained

I don't know what possesses me but I decide to get on the scale this morning. It's my first day going back to work and maybe I think it will help me start getting my life back in order. Instead it sends me two steps backwards. Or more specifically, 8 lbs forward.

"But you were pregnant," says my husband (who returned from his trip late last night) when he sees my eyes filling with tears.

I was pregnant. There it is again. Past tense. What else was I that I no longer am? And what am I now? Or better yet -- who am I now? Because I know I'm certainly not the same as I was.

I am bigger; my heart heavier; my pain wider.

But it seems 8 lbs is not all I've gained. I've also gained a deeper compassion for others who have lost something. I've gained an acceptance to my own vulnerability. I've gained a wider appreciation for life -- and the fragility of it. I've gained a stronger need for the people in my life. I've gained a love for my husband that goes beyond anything I'd ever imagined. Somehow in this loss, I'm coming out with more.

The 8 lbs can go but the rest is mine to keep.

2 comments:

Shanna Banana said...

Good blog. It is very true. When I think of what I have gained because of my loss, I realize that miscarriage has, strangely enough, made be a better person.

Maria (MKC101103) said...

That was so wonderfully put.