Friday, November 16, 2007

isn't it ironic

Tomorrow is my good friend's baby shower. I am hosting it at my house. Can the timing be any more ironic? What exactly is God trying to teach me here? Yes, I've been given every opportunity to move the shower. My friend's mother had 7 miscarriages of her own before adopting her so she has been especially sensitive to what I am going through. I've given it a lot of thought and I've decided to keep things has planned. People seem to think I am crazy for doing this so let me explain why:

1. I am happy for my friend
2. I've been in the same pajamas for 3 days now and it's time to get dressed
3. I was excited to host a party at my new house and why should I be robbed of that when I have already been robbed of so much
4. My friend had her own personal struggle with getting pregnant. I won't go into details because this is my blog, not hers. Her story is different than mine but the same theme. She wanted a baby and didn't have one. This is her happy ending (beginning!) and it gives me great hope for my own. (This photo was taken a few years back before I even met my husband -- when she and I both had big dreams to look forward to. We've both had great joy in our lives since then which also brings me great hope. A lot can change in a few years)
5. If I can get through this, I can get through anything

Now if I were the same amount pregnant as her, would I be able to do it? If my belly was supposed to be her size right now and this was supposed to be the month of my own shower, would I be strong enough to handle it? I doubt it. I can't even seem to pick up the phone and call my other friend who was a few weeks ahead of me. So it's not that I am in denial about my loss or that I have some kind of super-power strength. I'm just as vulnerable and heartbroken as anyone else who's gone through this.

It's just that I started planning this shower before I even knew I was pregnant myself. And although I was so excited for us to be pregnant together, we were never really in the same stage so we WEREN'T going through it together. She was always first and I was ok with that. This part hasn't changed at all. She's just going first and I will get my turn someday too. Thank goodness for small miracles.

Ask me in May if I want to host a shower and I can almost guarantee you my answer will be no.

No comments: