Sunday, April 6, 2008

a toddler's intuition?


I have another nephew, Mason. He is Carter's little brother and just turned 2 a few weeks ago. He is the sweetest thing. Last night is Carter's birthday party and my brother drops Mason off at our house for a few hours. My best friend comes over with her two little boys and we have a pizza playdate. (Mason is the little guy on the left.)

Out of the blue Mason runs over to me, lifts up my shirt, points to my belly and says, "baby!" (this from a boy who only has about 20-30 words in his expressive vocabulary as of yet.) This wouldn't be so weird except that nobody has told him yet that there's a baby in my belly.

So how does he know? I can't imagine a two-year-old being observant enough to notice the subtle changes in my body. I know his parents haven't told him. And it's possible Carter is beginning to have his suspicions, but if you read my post from a few weeks ago, he clearly has more interest in goldfish than he does in babies. I can guarantee you, it's just not something he would have discussed with his little brother.

So I am convinced Mason has a sixth sense about babies. Maybe all toddlers and babies do. Maybe they can smell a fetus the way dogs can scent out one of their own. It's a mystery I guess. But I find it beautiful.

No comments: